Brighton and Hove Revisited

North Street/Portland Street

By Jennifer Drury

Click on the images to open a large version in a new window.

Photo:Blacksmiths Arms 1937

Blacksmiths Arms 1937

Image reproduced with kind permission of The Regency Society and The James Gray Collection

The photograph above shows 139/142 North Street, between Portland Street and King Street in 1937. The Blacksmith’s Arms was originally part of a farmhouse and took its name from a smithy which existed behind it in King Street. It had been occupied as an inn since 1800, if not earlier. The block was demolished in 1938; Barclays Bank was built on the site in 1959.
Photo:Barclays Bank 2012

Barclays Bank 2012

Photo by Tony Mould

This page was added on 01/02/2013.
Comments about this page

Another monument to Mammon - or should that be Spivs R Us?

By Stefan Bremner-Morris (02/02/2013)