East Cliff

Portland Place to Chichester Place

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Browse this gallery: Next | Previous | Menu

Photo:Odeon Cinema, Kemp Town, c. 1940s: Built at the corner of St George's Road and Paston Place on the site of the Sassoon family's riding school, the Odeon opened on 1 February 1934. With 900 seats it was a popular venue, but closed in November 1960 and became a bingo hall in 1962. In this post World War Two photograph, Bing Crosby is starring in "Road to Singapore". From 1983 it was used by the Bethany Fellowship as a social centre but was demolished in January 1986 and replaced by Cavendish Court flats.

Odeon Cinema, Kemp Town, c. 1940s: Built at the corner of St George's Road and Paston Place on the site of the Sassoon family's riding school, the Odeon opened on 1 February 1934. With 900 seats it was a popular venue, but closed in November 1960 and became a bingo hall in 1962. In this post World War Two photograph, Bing Crosby is starring in "Road to Singapore". From 1983 it was used by the Bethany Fellowship as a social centre but was demolished in January 1986 and replaced by Cavendish Court flats.

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

This page was added on 19/03/2007.