Eastern Road

History notes and photo gallery

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Browse this gallery: Next | Previous | Menu

Photo:All Souls' Church: Church of All Souls, pictured from the north east, with overhead street lighting. All Souls' Church stood on Eastern Road. It was designed in plain classical style by Messrs Mew and built for Revd Henry Wagner between 1833-34. There were galleries on three sides, supported by slender columns and most of the sittings were free. In 1883 it became a parish church, and stained glass windows were added in 1903 and 1906 by Charles Kempe. In 1967 the parish merged with St. Mary and St. James, and the church was demolished in January 1968. Miles Court, a Church Army home, now stands on the site

All Souls' Church: Church of All Souls, pictured from the north east, with overhead street lighting. All Souls' Church stood on Eastern Road. It was designed in plain classical style by Messrs Mew and built for Revd Henry Wagner between 1833-34. There were galleries on three sides, supported by slender columns and most of the sittings were free. In 1883 it became a parish church, and stained glass windows were added in 1903 and 1906 by Charles Kempe. In 1967 the parish merged with St. Mary and St. James, and the church was demolished in January 1968. Miles Court, a Church Army home, now stands on the site

Brighton and Hove in Pictures

This page was added on 19/03/2007.