Round Hill

Impressive middle-class housing developed c1860s

Reproduced with permission from the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder, 1990

Browse this gallery: Next | Menu

Photo:Demolition of Tower Mill, 1913: Tower Mill "minus the top" on March 28 1913. Known variously as Tower Mill, Round Hill Mill and Rose Hill Mill, it stood at the northern end of Belton Road and was built of brick by John Ingledew and John Lashmar in 1838. In 1880 it was purchased by Charles Cutress, founder of Forfars bakery, who installed a steam engine to drive the grindstone with the sails fastened. The mill still features on the Forfars bakery logo.

Demolition of Tower Mill, 1913: Tower Mill "minus the top" on March 28 1913. Known variously as Tower Mill, Round Hill Mill and Rose Hill Mill, it stood at the northern end of Belton Road and was built of brick by John Ingledew and John Lashmar in 1838. In 1880 it was purchased by Charles Cutress, founder of Forfars bakery, who installed a steam engine to drive the grindstone with the sails fastened. The mill still features on the Forfars bakery logo.

Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council

This page was added on 02/02/2008.