Montpelier Crescent

In the 1830s/40s, the site of Montpelier Crescent was a cricket ground known as Lillywhite's, Lee's Trap or the Temple Fields Ground. On 29-30 August 1842 Sussex played All-England there. The crescent was erected in 1843-7 by A.H.Wilds, the grandest of his many works, and these original houses, nos.7-31, are decorated with giant fluted pilasters and either Corinthian or ammonite capitals. The wings at nos.1-6 and 32-38 were added in the 1850s, but all the houses are listed and form a magnificent sweeping crescent.