Brighton Herald photograph collection
The first newspaper to become established in Brighton was first published on 6 September 1806 at 8 Middle Street by H.Robertson Attree and Matthew Philips, with Robert Sicklemore as editor. The Herald rapidly established itself as a leading provincial weekly, and was the first newspaper to report the escape of Napoleon from Elba in 1815, the start of the French Revolution of 1830. 1934 an elegant new office building was opened on the western side of Pavilion Buildings; it was decorated with the arms of Brighton and Hove. The final edition, no.8621 after 165 years, was produced on 30 September 1971 when The Herald was absorbed by the Brighton and Hove Gazette.