Built in 1883-84
Architect H.J. Lanchester’s twin blocks of four-storey Italianate houses, Palmeira Mansions, form the north side of Palmeira Square, and were built by Jabez Reynolds Senior in 1883-84. Palmeira Square was named after Sir Isaac Goldsmid who was also Baron Palmeira. Number 33, the end bay on the left, is remarkable for its extremely ornate interior. It has marble inlaid walls, stained glass, fittings in an array of styles such as Adamesque, Rococo, Moorish and others. It also has large areas of lincrusta (a deeply embossed wallcovering), all added by ink-company owner A.W. Mason after he bought the property in 1889.
The construction is stucco over brick, with shallow pitch slate roofs. There are four storeys plus attics. There is a central two-tier gable front with a three window frontage to each unit; the end bay right is canted. The building has twentieth century fenestration to the attic storey apart from the gable front. A central two-tier gabled centrepiece is surmounted by a segmental pediment with heraldic designs in the tympanum over the round-headed opening. The first floor has round-headed windows linked by continuous entablature with keystones, and a continuous cast-iron balustrade carried on rendered console brackets. The ground floor has Doric porches with rusticated columns and half-glazed doors with ornamental metal grills and fanlights.