Church designed by Busby
St. George’s Church was designed by the architect Charles Augustus Busby for Thomas Read Kemp M.P. in 1824-5 to serve the new estate at Kemp Town, and was consecrated on 30 December 1825, opening to the public the following day. It is an elegant, classical, listed building, with a recessed Ionic portico and a Grecian bell-tower surmounted by a cupola and gilt metal cross.
Positioned at the west entrance
Two lamp posts stand in front of the west entrance to the church. They are early to mid 19th century in design and are a matching pair. The lamp posts are made of cast-iron, fluted with a tapering shaft which rises from cushion base to basket capital. Just below the capital they have a yoke maintenance arm.