Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required. However, when planning permission is required, the ‘special interest’ of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.
The Galeed Strict Baptist Chapel, in Gloucester Road, opened on the 15th October 1868; it was designed by Benjamin Nunn in Neoclassical style. The building is rendered, with the appearance of two storeys surmounted by a pediment with small oculus window. Oculus openings, so called from the Latin for ‘eye’, are a feature of Neoclassical style
The ground floor is rusticated, and contains three doorways. There are three hung sash windows to the first floor, separated by pilasters. The inscription ‘GALEED A.D. 1868’ is located below the pediment. There is traditional-style gas lamp fixed to the westernmost pilaster. It is understood that the interior is plain.
The building’s architectural, design and artistic Interest lies in the fact that it is a good example of a particularly austere Neoclassical chapel The building is the only Strict or Particular Baptist Chapel to survive in the city; since their foundation in the city in 1766. There have also been chapels in Bond Street, Windsor Street, Mighell Street. Sussex Street, Haddington Street and West Street; sadly none of these survive.