Local listing is different to statutory listing; it does not provide further legislative controls. and does not affect when planning permission is required. However, when planning permission is required, the ‘special interest’ of a locally listed heritage asset will be taken into account. In 2013 the council asked for nominations for inclusion in the list; over five hundred submissions were considered. The Local List of Heritage Assets was adopted on 18th June 2015, it will be reviewed in 2020; other items in the current list can be seen here.
Former burial ground
The gardens are the former burial ground to Hanover Chapel, Listed Grade II, and now part of the Brighthelm Centre. The Hanover Chapel was built in 1824/5. It has been suggested that the site was already a burial ground from possibly as early as the 1700s. The burial ground originally extended further to the west. Queen’s Road was built over this part in 1845. The original boundary wall and railing survive on the west side of Queen’s Road.
Gravestones moved in 1949
The boundary between the park and Queen’s Road is marked by railings, which are Grade II listed. Burials ceased in around the early 1850s, and the burial ground became a public garden in 1884. The gravestones were moved to the boundaries of the site in 1949, at which point an inventory of the memorials was compiled. All historic OS maps and surviving drawings show the site to be laid out with a single linear route providing access from Church Street to the Chapel. The drawings show this to be lined with railings and trees.
A rare example
The Brighthelm Centre Rest Gardens is a rare example of a city centre burial ground and surviving green space within the North Laine. Although the gardens have changed over time, indications of their original use as a burial ground survive, as well as elements of their design as a public park.