Extensively damaged by fire
Extensive damage to interior
Tragedy hit the Greek Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity in Carlton Hill this week when an unexplained fire ripped through the historic VictorianChurch. The fire occurred when the building was unoccupied and so luckily no one was injured. Thousands of pounds worth of damage occurred, but it was limited to the interior of the building and the structure remains sound.
Built for Reverend Henry Wagner
The church, which seats 1,200 worshippers, was built for the Reverend Henry Wagner by George Cheeseman, and designed in Doric-style by George Cheeseman Junior. It was consecrated in January 1840 by the then Bishop of Worcester, and former Vicar of Brighton, Dr James Carr, as the Anglican Church of St. John the Evangelist. It is a Grade II listed building.
Closed in 1980
Dwindling attendance forced the church to close in 1980; it was taken over by the Greek community in 1986. The present church community is still reeling from the shock of this terrible fire, but services continue in a marquee in the grounds.