Designed by Sir Edward Maufe
Site purchased in 1947
St Nicholas’s Church in Saltdean Vale was designed by Sir Edward Brantwood Maufe (1883 –1974) who was noted chiefly for his work on places of worship and remembrance memorials. In 1947 the Diocese purchased the site for the erection of a church and a committee was then formed to raise funds. Over the years funds continued to be raised and services were held in a number of temporary church venues. These venues included the Ocean Hotel, together with the Fire Service College, an unlit chapel, and the sports pavilion in the Oval. The present Church Hall was dedicated by the Rt Rev The Lord Bishop of Chichester Dr G K A Bell.
Dedicated in May 1965
On the 25th April 1964, the foundation stone for St Nicholas Church was laid; the parish of Saltdean at that time contained 7,500 people. On the 8th May 1965, the church was dedicated by the Bishop of Chichester. The church was packed with hundreds of parishioners to celebrate the culmination of 18 years of fundraising and hard work. Constructed in a grey stone with a tall tower, St Nicholas’s Church replaced a temporary church of 1951, which is now the church hall. Saltdean became a Parish of its own by Royal Consent in May 1969 and St Nicholas’s was consecrated as Saltdean parish church in December 1970.