Now the “Cannon”, this cinema was built as the “Savoy” and when opened on 1 August 1930, it could seat 2,300 people and had an underground car park, two restaurants and two cafes. The interior was of “an oriental character with pagodas and bottle green silk curtains embroided with a flight of butterfies”.
The “Savoy” was renamed the ABC in 1963 and was converted into four-mini screens in 1975-6, becoming the “Cannon” in 1986.
The site of the cinema has a history of leisure usage going back to the 1780s when it was Lamprell’s Baths. In the 1820s Lamprell’s nephew, Mr Brill took over the baths and they were rebuilt in 1869 to a design by Sir George Gilbert Scott.