One of the most striking features of Brighton General Hospital is the fine turret clock in the tower above A Block.
There is a description of the clock and the presentation ceremony in 1874 in the Brighton Herald.
Made by Mr Henry Pratt of 18 Preston Street it was given to the hospital, or workhouse as it was then, by Mrs G. Pym Reading. It has four dials, each six feet in diameter, and a compensated pendulum weighting two hundredweights.
A clock by the same maker had been installed two years previously in the Congregtional Church, Seven Dials. (demolished in 1972). This clock is reputed to have gone for eight months with an error of ten seconds – a remarkable achievment for a clock of this type.