A brief history, 1795-1990
The Percy Almshouses at the bottom of Elm Grove were erected in 1795, but they remained in a quite isolated position until the construction of Hanover Crescent and Hanover Street in about 1822. However, most of the densely-populated district which has become known as Hanover was developed from about 1860, typically small terraces with angular window bays.
Hanover ward was first designated in 1894, covering the area between Lewes Road, Southover Street, Queen’s Park Road and Elm Grove, but it has been expanded since to include the area between Lewes Road, Grand Parade, Carlton Hill, Queen’s Park Road, Pankhurst Road, Freshfield Road, Elm Grove and Franklin Road.
Since being designated a ‘general improvement area’ in 1969-76, Hanover has become a more attractive residential district and has escaped the massive redevelopment of the adjacent Albion Hill area. Together with Albion Hill, Hanover has a population of around 7,500.