Memorial to Indian soldiers
The Chattri, white domed and pillared, nestles high on the Downs near Patcham. It is a memorial to 12,000 wounded Indian soldiers who passed through Brighton & Hove Hospitals during the Great War and in particular Sikh and Hindu soldiers who died here between 1914 and 1918. It is built on the exact spot where 53 bodies were cremated; their ashes were then taken to be scattered in the sea.
The Chattri was unveiled by the Prince of Wales, in 1921. From 1946 to 1999 the Patcham British Legion organised an annual pilgrimage to the Chattri, and this tradition of a memorial service each year in early June is now carried on by Mr Davinder Dhillon, a local teacher. The event is attended by representatives of the armed forces, the police and the City of Brighton and Hove, as well as many individuals with personal connections to the soldiers who were cremated there.
On Sunday 10th June 2007 Rosemary Allix joined those taking part. Sound Clip is 3 mins 20 secs in duration.