Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.
c) GOLF-COURSES: The Dyke golf-course was laid out in 1908 and is considered the best of the local courses with the greatest variety of holes. It has a length of 6,519 yards and was a Brighton municipal course until 1966 when it was leased to the Dyke Golf Club by the corporation.
The oldest club in the Brighton area is the Brighton and Hove Golf Club off Devil’s Dyke Road, which opened in October 1887 with nine holes. It was later extended to eighteen holes, but sixty acres were sold following persistent trespass and nuisance, and the course was reduced to nine holes again in 1960; an eighteen-hole ‘equivalent’ course is now provided by two tees at each hole giving a course length of 2758+2777 yards. A bell remains in the clubhouse which rang when a train was about to leave the Dyke Station, giving golfers time to down their drinks and hurry to the club’s own private railway platform (see “Dyke Railway” above). A separate Brighton and Hove Ladies’ Golf Club was run from 1891 until 1939 on a nine-hole course to the south-west of the Dyke Hotel.
A new course for the West Hove Golf Club was laid out to the west of the old railway line in 1989-90 to replace their course in BenfieldValley which will be lost to the bypass link road; it will be ready early in 1991.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.