A potted history
The current building at Preston Manor was built in 1738 by the squire, Thomas Western. He probably acted as his own architect. The entrance porch was added in about 1800.
Preston Manor is listed in the Domesday Book. It belonged to the Bishop of Chichester. The manor covered the parish and a large part of the Hove foreshore.
In 1933, following the death of the last residents, Charles and Ellen Thomas-Stanford, the house was bequeathed to Brighton Council. It’s now a country house museum, specialising in the recreation of country home life before the First World War.