A potted history

Note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990. Some of the information may therefore be out of date.

The summit of Albion Hill has been the site of several windmills. The Albion Hill Mill, also known as Brighton Park Mill, stood on a site on the south-eastern side of Toronto Terrace from around 1822 until it was removed to the Race Hill in December 1861 (see “Bear Road and East Preston”). However, Windmill Street and the Millers Arms in Sussex Street are probably named after Taylor’s Mill, the former East Mill which was removed from Kemp Town to the top of Lennox Street in the mid 1840s. Unfortunately this mill collapsed in 1862 when it was about to be moved for a second time to the Industrial Schools at Warren Farm, Woodingdean. A third mill, on the eastern side of Windmill Street, was known as Clifton Mill as it was removed from Clifton Gardens in around 1837; it was demolished in about 1862. It is also thought that a fourth mill stood on the site of Park Road Terrace from the 1820s until the 1840s.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder. The following resource(s) is quoted as a general source for the information above: {249a}

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *