Old Police Cells Museum 10th anniversary
AGM and anniversary
This week a very happy group congregated in the Mayor’s Parlour for the AGM and 10th anniversary celebration of the Old Police Cells Museum. The group included museum founder Pat Drake, the Mayor of Brighton and Hove, Councillor Brian Fitch, the Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex, Peter Field (Museum President), High Sheriff of East Sussex Juliet Smith, High Sheriff of West Sussex Denise Patterson, and museum Vice Presidents, award winning local author, Peter James and former Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex, Phyllida Stewart-Roberts.
History of the museum
The idea of the museum was originally conceived by the late Brighton Councillor John Drake, husband of the museum’s founder and former Brighton councillor, Pat Drake. When she became Mayor, Pat adopted the idea as her mayoral project and the museum was opened on the 4th May 2005. You can read more about it here. Since then the museum has gone from strength to strength and is now a ‘must see’ visit for anyone interested in the history of the city.
Now a wedding venue
The museum is situated in the basement of Brighton Town Hall, and was Brighton Borough’s main police station from 1830 to 1967. Apart from its spooky cells, one complete with a ‘body’, it has a plethora of police memorabilia and artefacts. It also houses the largest collection in the UK of truncheons and tipstaffs. And for anyone wanting a really quirky wedding venue, the museum now has a wedding licence.