History of an impressive Georgian townhouse
15 Prince Albert Street, an impressive Georgian townhouse built in the late eighteenth century, originally stood in Black Lion Street before Prince Albert Street was built to link Ship Street with Black Lion Street – thus allowing a new approach to the Town Hall from the west.
The street was developed in 1842 by Isaac Bass, a local Quaker, who offered the Town Commissioners the old vicarage in Nile Street to allow the new road to be built. Interestingly, he lived at No. 15 with one of his daughters and a few domestic servants.
The house is especially elegant and is now a Grade II listed building. Built of red brick with a Doric porch, it passed into commercial use and has been a bakery, a wine merchants and is now offices occupied by lawyers.