The official opening of Queen's Park
Queen’s Park was opened to the public on 10th August 1892 by Major Ewart. After receiving the keys to the Park from Alderman Abbey, the Mayor and his entourage (which included a bagpiper!) proceeded to unlock all seven entrances to the park, each one decorated with flags and bunting.
A very festive occasion
Newspaper reports state that the number of people in the Park was several thousand and that the Park had ” quite a holiday appearance.” In his speech to the people the major declared the Park to be dedicated to the use of the public now, henceforth and forever.”