Once a country lane
Coldean Lane was once just a country lane some distance away from Brighton. It served the dual purpose of linking the Ditchling Road and Lewes Road, and it led to Coldean Farm which was situated midway between these two roads. In 1936 private builders began the development of Park Road and West Drive, and in 1937 the Hikers’ Rest public house was erected.
Do you remember when the area looked like this? Please post a comment below
Parkside estate 1947
Only a few houses were built before the 1939-1945 war however, and the area did not really develop until 1947 when Brighton Corporation commenced the building of the Parkside housing estate. This view shows the junction with Lewes Road. Note the old farm cottages and traces of an earlier slight widening.
Widened in 1954
At this period the area lay outside the municipal boundaries and it was not until 1951 that it was absorbed into the Brighton Borough. The completion of the estate and school, increasing traffic, and the use of buses, made widening of the narrow country lane a necessity. In 1954 it was decided to widen Coldean Lane throughout.