Map of the area
The parish of Stanmer originally occupied an area of 1,341 acres including most of what is now the Coldean estate, and formed part of the Newhaven union and rural district; from 1934 it was part of Chailey rural district. In 1934 also 242 acres of land known as Patchway in the vicinity of Old Boat Corner, a detached portion of Falmer parish, were added to Stanmer. On 1 April 1952 1,028 acres of Stanmer were transferred to the county borough of Brighton under the 1951 Brighton Extension Act, the remainder of the parish being added to that part of Falmer parish not similarly transferred.
There are now a number of enjoyable signposted circular walks over the Downs as far as Ditchling Beacon and Clayton Windmills, starting at the Stanmer car-park.
Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.