Marlborough Place

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

a) MARLBOROUGH PLACE: The first group of buildings in Marlborough Place was erected in 1772 and known as North Row, the first development outside the limits of the old town; it was renamed in 1819. The King and Queen , however, probably dates from an earlier time and was originally a farmhouse. The inn catered for cricket and other sporting celebrations which were held on the North Steine, while at the rear was an infantry barracks (see “Church Street”) which was discretely supplied through a serving-hole which may still be seen. The inn was also the venue of the town’s corn market from the early nineteenth century until October 1868 when it was transferred to the Corn Exchange. The two-storey, bow-fronted Georgian building was replaced in 1931-2 by the present highly-decorated Tudor-style building, with its carved timber-framing and herring-bone brickwork, stained glass and tapestries. Despite the figures of Henry VIII and one of his queens, the inn’s sign more correctly shows King George III and Queen Charlotte. Converted from three rooms in 1967, the interior matches the Tudor-style exterior and is now in the form of a spacious, medieval nobleman’s hall and courtyard.  {14,15,26,262a}
The southern part of Marlborough Place is lined with four-storey buildings, and no.9, which has a good doorway, is included on the council’s local list of buildings of special interest. That part to the north of the inn was redeveloped in the early 1930s but no.26, a listed building at the corner of North Road , dates from the early nineteenth century and retains a cobbled front. The elegant, neo-Georgian Allied Irish Bank dates from 1933 when it was designed by John Denman for the Citizens Permanent Building Society; it has decorative windows depicting different trades. {123}
The attractive early-nineteenth-century row of houses on the opposite side of North Road , 31-36 Marlborough Place, is also listed, no.33 having a cobbled front and garland decorations. Nos.37-41 were demolished in 1934 to make way for Telephone House (see “Gloucester Place” below). {44,129}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *