Richmond Terrace

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

f) RICHMOND TERRACE: The original terrace, nos.4-14, was built speculatively from 1818 by A. and A.H.Wilds, but it has been dominated by the Municipal Technical College since 1897 (see “Technology, College of”). All of the remaining houses are listed. Nos.4-6, large four-storey houses with ironwork Ionic pilasters and verandahs, are topped by a pediment and supported either side by gateposts with lamps bearing crowns; these mark the visits of George IV to the home of his Lord Chancellor, Lord Combermere {45a}. No.7 has the Wilds’s ‘trademark’, ammonite capitals, while nos.11-14 are a three-storey composition with ironwork balconies and decorated gateposts.
Nos.1-3 Richmond Terrace were probably added by Wilds and Busby in the 1820s and were originally known as Lennox Place, three bow-fronted houses in yellow brick above the ground floor and with interesting chain-link decorations on the gate pillars. The bow-fronted no.15 dates from around the same time, while nos.16-18 were probably added by A.Wilds alone. {44,45,46,83}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *