Northern Enclosure

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

c) NORTHERN ENCLOSURE: The northern enclosure covers 1.16 acres and was remodelled similarly to the southern enclosure in about 1925. Just beyond the northernmost end is a drinking fountain presented to the town by Frederick Chatfield for both human and animal use. Now listed, the obelisk bears the borough arms and the drinking pools are now used for floral displays. It was designed by Robert Keirle and inaugurated by the mayor, Richard Webb, in 1871; it originally stood in an isolated position in the middle of the road. {24,44,115,126}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *