A strange history linked with Baghdad!
The Hanbury Arms pub was first opened in 1865. It was converted from a private house by its first landlord, a Mr Maidlow.
The pub incorporates a mausoleum built in 1892 by Sir Albert Sassoon who was originally called Abdullah. He was a descendant of Sheikh Sason ben Saleh, who was head of the Jewish community in Baghdad in the late eighteenth century.
The Sassoons’ remains were moved to London in 1933 when Albert Sassoon’s grandson sold the property. The mausoleum was used as an air-raid shelter during the war and then bought by the Hanbury Arms in 1953.