The original King and Queen inn was a bow-fronted two-storey Georgian building on the site of a farmhouse. This had gained a licence in 1779 to cater for various sporting events held at that time on the North Steine. In addition the inn was also the venue for Brighton’s corn market until 1868 when the Corn Exchange opened.
The present building was built in the Tudor style by architects Clayton and Black in 1931-32 with carved timber framing, herring-bone brickwork, stained glass and tapestries. The interiors were fitted out by Heaton, Tabb and Company, a well-known firm of pub decorators. Despite the figures of Henry VIII and one of his wives, the inn’s sign more accurately shows King George III and Queen Charlotte. In 1967 three rooms were knocked through to make a mediaeval nobleman’s hall.