The Central National School was one of the town’s earliest schools. It opened in 1829 and was designed in a Regency Gothic style with oriel windows and pinnacles by Stroud and Mew.
The three storey building had two shops on the ground floor and master’s residence on the second. It became the Central Church of England School and eventually the Central Voluntary Primary School. The school closed in March 1967 and the building was demolished in 1971.