History notes, 1884-1994
The ‘Birdcage’ bandstand is a delightful piece of Brighton Corporation architecture. Built in 1884 it served the public in two ways – by providing music to the Kings Road level, whilst offering toilet facilities to promenaders on the Western lower esplanade.
An octagon of eight cast iron arches infilled with delicate screens, the bandstand is in the Hindu style adopted by Brighton Corporation for “pleasure architecture”.
Perhaps because of the sound of flushing water, which could be heard above the music, the bandstand came under criticism and consequently there have been many attempts to demolish it. Fortunately lack of funds, together with the impossibility of achieving a building license for new designs during the post War years, has saved the Birdcage from destruction.