The boundary of Brighton until 1928
Black Rock was the boundary of Brighton until 1928. In order to avoid the Parish coal-tax by being just outside the boundary, the Brighton Gas Light and Coke company built its works there in 1818-1819 and by 1828 some housing and a pub had also been built.
Cliff top erosions
By 1897 the cliff top had eroded by 75 feet. Many landslips followed until the 1920s Undercliff Walk halted the erosion. The opening of the new road to Rottingdean in 1932 led to the demolition of the pub. The other cliff top buildings were finally demolished when the Marina road interchange was built in 1976.
The Lido built in 1934-36
The Black Rock Lido was built in 1934-36 designed by the Borough architect, David Edwards, in a popular modernist Deco style. Unfortunately it was closed in 1978 and the proposed Water Theme-park for the site has yet to be built.