From brewery to auction rooms, 1830-1913
In 1830 No 17/18 Bond Street was used as a brewery. It was owned by Theophilus Pollard, who became a bankrupt in 1835. In 1845 the building was turned into a warehouse and furniture factory by a company called Crundles.
By 1910 Crundles had ceased trading at the premises and in 1913, a furniture remover, Ernest Mead, took them over and used them as Mead & Co. auction rooms. In Ernest’s day No 17 was the auction rooms and storage area, whilst 18 was the company office and living accommodation. Today Nos 17 and 18 are two separate businesses.