History of this place
Deb’s Deli was originally a post-war store that sold Kosher food. At that time Gardner Street had two way traffic and life was chaotic on busy days. There was a milliner’s, dry cleaner’s and sweet shop opposite with a gent’s hosiery at No. 5 and a jeweller’s at No. 3.
In 1950, Deb’s parents bought the shop and it became a grocer’s. Then TESCO opened a supermarket with an ugly facade further down Gardner Street and Deb was almost forced out of business but she never gave up and converted the shop into the delicatessen we see today.
The large variety of home made snacks from sausage rolls and cheese cakes to lutkas and bagels have added colour and aromas to the street for the last thirteen years. The street becomes a pedestrian way on Saturdays and although it is really busy, it is a joy to work in.