This old photograph dates from about 1890 but a little survives today. The roof line of the Crown and Anchor pub with the two dormer windows can be made out at the southern end of the line buildings and two of the shops, with the bay windows, are today a newsagents and dry cleaners, the third having been rebuilt is an off-licence. The buildings in between were demolished and replaced with the present shops in 1894, according to the date on the gable. At the same time the houses nearest the camera were demolished to form the opening for Lauriston Road and another parade of shops. These were bombed during the War and Caffyns car showrooms now occupies their site.