This month Hollingbury Park Golf Club celebrated their centenary with the Mayor of Brighton and Hove, Councillor Gary Peltzer Dunn, who drove off the first ball in the Centenary Hickory Club Competition.
The original golf course of nine holes was opened in September 1908 by the then Mayor, Alderman J.P. Slingsby. The first two holes were alongside Ditchling Road, with the present tennis pavilion as the clubhouse. Work on the course was carried out by the town’s unemployed under the supervision of Mr. J B Saunders. Costs of the work, which amounted to £780, was paid from the Mayor’s Distress Fund and the Local Government Board. In 1909, regular users of the course decided to approach Brighton Council for permission to form a club. Permission was subsequently granted and as a result, the course was extended to eighteen holes in 1910.
Today Hollingbury Park Golf Club is a popular and thriving club whose members are enjoying marking their their centenary year with special tournaments and events. Our photograph here shows current members dressed as their counterparts would have been at the beginning of the last century.