This is a photographic print of Claremont Place, Brighton. It is a view of the east side of the street, looking north. The wall on the left of the photograph is constructed from a mixture of flint cobble and more recent brickwork, suggesting that some of these houses have been partially renovated.
This photograph was commissioned by the Environmental Health department of Brighton Borough Council. It formed part of a visual record of areas considered for slum clearance. Claremont Place ran between Richmond Street and Sussex Street, just south of Albion Hill. It was acquired by the Council under the Claremont Place Compulsory Purchase Order in 1956. The street was demolished in about 1959. The site was used for new housing, including the Glynleigh and Cranbrook blocks of flats.