Hanover to Preston South

1850 map of Brighton
Image reproduced with permission from Brighton History Centre

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

The following tables list the roads and streets of the borough of Brighton with the approximate dates of their first significant development. This information has been derived from contemporary plans and directories in periods of approximately five or ten years, and the town has been divided into convenient districts for ease of use. It should be noted that many roads, particularly in the Patcham , Rottingdean , Saltdean and Woodingdean areas, were developed piecemeal over many years, while other roads, mainly in the town centre, have been rebuilt since their initial development. Current road names are used in all cases, but streets no longer in existence are shown in italics. The reader is advised to use these tables in conjunction with a street-plan. {10,83,107,108,109}

x) Hanover area (bounded by Lewes Road, Elm Grove, Queen’s Park Road and Albion Hill):
1795: Hanover Place (almshouses).
1809-21: Albion Hill (west of Lewes Street); Hanover Crescent; Phoenix Place; Richmond Terrace; Waterloo Place.
1822: Hanover Street
1822-30: Southover Street (west of Hanover Street).
1831-6: Hanover Terrace.
1848-53: Lewes & Newhaven Streets.
1854-8: Milton Road.
1859-64: Albion Hill (Lewes Street to Scotland Street); Belgrave, Coleman, Holland, Jersey, Scotland, Southover (Hanover Terrace to Southampton Street) & Washington Streets; Cobden, Hampden, Howard & Islingword (west of Cobden Road) Roads; Elm Grove (west of Luther Street).
1865-9: Albion Hill (north side east of Scotland Street); Finsbury Road; Islingword Place & Road (east of Cobden Road); Montreal, Quebec, Southampton & Southover (east of Southampton Street) Streets; Toronto Terrace; Whichelo Place.
1870-4: Islingword Street; Newark Place; Queen’s Park Road (west side south of Islingword Road).
1875-9: Beaufort Terrace.
1880-4: roads from Luther Street to Cromwell Street; Elm Grove (Luther Street to Queen’s Park Road); Grant, Jackson & Lincoln Streets; Queen’s Park Road (west side north of Islingword Road).
1890-9: Ewart & Grove Streets.

xi) Queen’s Park area (bounded by Egremont Place, Queen’s Park Road, Elm Grove, Whitehawk Hill Road and Eastern Road):
1809-21: Edward, Egremont, Leicester & Spa Streets; Eastern Road (west of Freshfield Road).
1822-30: Coalbrook Road; Egremont Place (east side); Park & Sloane Streets.
1848-53: Eastern Road (Freshfield Road to Walpole Road).
1859-64: Canning Street.
1865-9: Walpole Road.
1870-4: Hendon Street; Sutherland Road; Walpole Terrace.
1875-9: Bute Street; Cuthbert Road; Park Hill.
1880-4: College Terrace; Evelyn Terrace (north side); Freshfield Road (south Queen’s Park Terrace); Rochester Street.
1885-9: Queen’s Park Road (east side south of Tower Road).
1890-4: Queen’s Park Terrace.
1895-9: Down Terrace (south side); Freshfield Place & Street; St Luke’s Road & Terrace; South Avenue.
1900-4: Belle Vue Gardens; East & West Drives; Elm Grove (east of Queen’s Park Road); Tillstone Street; Upper Abbey Road.
1905-9: Dawson Terrace; Freshfield Road (Queen’s Park Terrace to Down Terrace); Queen’s Park Rise.
1915-9: Queen’s Park Road (east side Queen’s Park Terrace to Down Terrace).
1920-4: Down Terrace (north side); Evelyn Terrace (south side); Firle, Freshfield (north of Down Terrace), Glynde, Plumpton, Queen’s Park (east side north of Down Terrace) & Tower Roads; Pankhurst Avenue.
1925-9: Hallett Road.
1930-4: Clayton Road.
1951-5: Craven Vale estate.
1956-9: Hadlow & Southwater Closes.
1970-3: Attree Drive; BarnfieldGardens; Barry Walk.
1974-5: Freshfield Way; Stevenson Road.

xii) Elm Grove area (between Elm Grove and Bear Road):
1854-8: Melbourne Street; Wellington Road.
1859-64: Elm Grove (west of Wellington Street); Wellington Street.
1865-9: Franklin, Hastings & Lewes (east side) Roads; Gladstone Place & Terrace.
1870-4: Agnes & Franklin Streets; De Montfort Road; Fairlight & St Martin’s Places.
1875-9: Pevensey & St Leonards Roads; Picton Street.
1880-4: Bonchurch, Brading, Newmarket & Upper Wellington Roads; Elm Grove (Wellington Street to Totland Road); Normanton Street.
1885-9: Hartington Road (north side west of Whippingham Street); Whippingham Road.
1895-9: Hartington Road (south side west of Whippingham Road); Shanklin Road.
1900-4: roads from Bernard Road to St Helens Road; Bembridge, Seville & Whippingham Streets; Elm Grove (east of Totland Road).
1905-9: Coronation Street; Hartington Place, Road (north side east of Whippingham Street) & Terrace; May Road.
1915-9: Hartington Road (south side east of Whippingham Road).

xiii) Round Hill area (bounded by Lewes, Hollingdean, Ditchling and Union Roads):
1822-30: Rosehill; Union Road.
1848-53: Park Crescent.
1854-8: Ditchling Road (east side Union Road to Prince’s Crescent); Lewes Road (west side).
1859-64: Caledonian, Ditchling (east side Prince’s Crescent to Florence Place), Edinburgh & Wakefield Roads; Park Crescent Terrace; Roundhill Crescent.
1865-9: Aberdeen, Inverness & Richmond Roads; St Mary Magdalene & St Paul’s Streets.
1870-4: Park Crescent Place & Road; St Martin’s Street; Upper Lewes Road.
1880-4: Ashdown, Crescent, D’Aubigny & Mayo Roads; Brewer & Trinity Streets; Prince’s Crescent & Road; Round Hill Road & Street.
1890-4: Belton Road.
1895-9: Newport Street.
1951-5: Sylvan Hall estate.

xiv) East Preston area (north of Bear Road to Natal Road and Jevington Drive):
1885-9: Belle Vue Cottages.
1895-9: Bear Road; Coombe Terrace.
1900-9: Buller, Coombe (west end), Dewe, Ewhurst, Ladysmith, Milner (west end), Natal (south side), Nesbitt, Redvers & Riley Roads.
1910-5: Kimberley & Mafeking Roads.
1920-4: Baden, Canfield, Coombe (east end), Crayford, Eastbourne, Milner (east end) & Natal (north side) Roads; Carlyle Avenue.
1956-9: Canfield Close.
1960-5: Birling & Willingdon Closes; Jevington Drive.

xv) Preston (South) area (bounded by New England, Viaduct & Ditchling Roads, Stanford Avenue, Preston Road, Lovers Walk and railway):
pre-1850: Lovers Walk Cottages.
1859-64: Viaduct Road.
1870-4: Argyle, Beaconsfield (south of viaduct), Campbell, New England, Preston (south of viaduct) & Stanley Roads.
1875-9: Clyde, Preston (viaduct to Preston village), Shaftesbury, Springfield & Warleigh Roads; Ditchling Rise; Gerard, Winchester & Yardley Streets; Lovers Walk.
1880-4: Beaconsfield Road (north of viaduct); Parkmore Terrace; Ditchling (west side south of Rugby Road), Florence (west), Grantham & Vere Roads; Dyke Road Drive; Stanford Avenue (south-west of Chester Terrace).
1885-9: Florence Road (east).
1890-4: Edburton Avenue.
1895-9: Ditchling (Rugby Road to Fiveways), Rugby & Semley Roads; Southdown & Stanford (north-west of Chester Terrace) Avenues.
1900-4: St Andrew’s Road.
1970-3: Ditchling Gardens.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.