Mystery Photo interest
A recent ‘Mystery Photo’ created quite a bit of interest here and was rightly identified by many of our well-informed visitors as Grenville Place, which was demolished in the development of Churchill Square.
Plans conceived in 1935
A new shopping and entertainment centre was first conceived in 1935 and dilapidated buildings in Blucher Place and Upper Russell Street were cleared in 1938. But WWII prevented further work and the vacant site was used for a car-park for many years. Further clearances at Artillery Street, Cannon Street and Russell Street followed in 1957/58. But it was not until 1963 after a public inquiry, that ministerial approval was given for a 15 acre redevelopment from Western Road to King’s Road. Grenville Place was demolished as part of that redevelopment.
Early 19th century housing
The Churchill Square underground service road is known as Grenville Road, a reminder of the early 19th century cobble-fronted houses which stood on the site. Grenville Place was also the original location of the Sussex Throat and Ear Hospital, founded in 1879 at number seventeen; it moved in 1882 to 23 Queen’s Road.
The maps here, from Timothy Carder’s ‘Encyclopaedia of Brighton’(1990), show the area before and after the redevelopment.