Developed after WWII
This photo shows the CVA Drawing Office in Crowhurst Road Hollingbury soon after it opened in 1952. Its main function was the design of press tools and associated equipment used on the CVA Dieing Presses, which can be seen here. The CVA Dieing Press was developed just after WWII at the Kemp Town factory in Upper St. James’s Street, which can be seen here. The Drawing Office was opposite the factory in premises on the corner of Charlotte Street.
Opened in 1952
When the new factory at Hollingbury opened in 1952, production of the Dieing Press and the Drawing Office was moved to the new modern facilities. Its interesting to see the large size of the drawing boards, and the huge board at the far end. Because the Dieing Presses were large machines, large scale drawings were a requirement to provide detail. The other very interesting point is the view northwards out of the window onto Crowhurst Road, with the Underwood Business Machines factory in the distance. Information about Underwood Business Machines at Hollingbury can be found here.