This collection of photographs gives a glimpse into the progression, or not, of the development of Jubilee Street and subsequent £50 million scheme to regenerate the area which has the Jubilee Library, opened in 2005 by the Princess Royal, as its centrepiece. Jubilee Street was acquired by the Council as part of the Regent Street Compulsory Purchase of 1957.
The first was taken in 1971, just before the Central National School, on the left, was demolished. This act of vandalism led one eminent commentator to describe it as the greatest architectural crime to have been perpetrated in Brighton. A wonderful building destroyed; all in the name of road widening.
Photograph number two shows the scene when the Central National School had been demolished, leaving the two houses with oriel windows on the corner of Jubilee Street; they were subsequently demolished in 1972. When these buildings had been removed the area became a car park and remained so for thirty years, as the following two photographs show. The final photograph shows a view of Jubilee Street from New Street today.
Click on any of the photographs to open a large version in a new window.