Kensington Gardens to Queen's Gardens

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

j) KENSINGTON GARDENS : Developed from about 1808 onwards, the first street northwards from North Road , Kensington Gardens forms an attractive pedestrian precinct at the heart of the North Laine and retains its setts in the pathway. Originally the houses did indeed have gardens, and some of the shops on the eastern side can be seen to be single-storey extensions in the gardens of larger two- and three-storey houses behind. No.5, which was the Kensington Gardens Institute for working men from 1865 until 1920, retains its early-nineteenth-century bowed front of mathematical tiles, while several others, notably nos.7-11, retain original facades above the shop-fronts. It must be hoped that any future rebuilding will not affect the character of this charming street. {14,83}

k) KENSINGTON PLACE : Lined with small terraced houses and cottages of the 1820s with gardens on the western side. Nos.30-52, a neat, rusticated terrace on the eastern side, were added in the 1830s and, being decorated with Ionic pilasters, are included on the council’s local list of buildings of special interest. {108}

l) OVER STREET: Both sides have attractive three-storey houses of around 1850.

m) PELHAM SQUARE : The two-storey houses on the southern and western sides of this attractive enclave were erected in the 1840s as Pelham Terrace; the three-storey houses with small front gardens on the eastern side were added in about 1860 to complete the square. Nos.1-12 and 15-24 are all listed buildings. The garden was used by the York Place schools as a recreational area at one time. Now known as the Queen Mother’s Garden, it was landscaped in 1980 to celebrate Her Majesty’s eightieth birthday. The two K6-type telephone boxes have been designated buildings of special architectural interest as British Telecom replaces this style of kiosk. {44,83,123,126}

n) QUEEN’S GARDENS: Has attractive terraces of the 1840s on both sides.

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *