The Andrews family had a very long association with Brighton as fishermen. With the heavy demand for rope for fishing nets and in the use of sailing vessels, Samuel Andrews diversified into Rope and Twine making at his shop in Little East Street around 1840.
For a short while Samuel’s son John also traded from another shop in Bartholomews, ceasing in the mid-1860’s.
The picture depicts the premises at 5/6, Little East Street, long known as ‘Andrew’s Cottages’. In the 1930s it was run by Henry Samuel Andrew, Samuel Andrew’s grandson.
The premises remained as a Fisherman’s Stores until around 1940 and Henry died in 1943 at the age of 82.
Research kindly supplied by Andy Grant