Developed from about 1790

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

a) HISTORY: Marine Parade forms the country’s most impressive marine facade, the major feature of the East Cliff outstanding conservation area; it is especially impressive when viewed from afar, for instance from the Palace Pier. Commencing in about 1790, development continued eastwards from the Steine until about 1850 when Kemp Town had been reached, and was protected against coastal erosion by a huge sea-wall constructed along the length of the cliff in 1830-8 (see “Coastline (Sea-Walls)”). With its magnificent setting, all the development was of a high-class nature, and it constitutes much of the Regency architectural splendour of the town. There are many listed buildings, which are detailed below. The many interesting side streets leading north from Marine Parade are dealt with under ” East Cliff“.  See also ” Kemp Town“, which forms part of the Marine Parade facade.

The roadway itself, which runs from the Steine to the former borough boundary at Boundary Road, was widened, and the promenade constructed, in 1827-38 when the sea-wall was built below. The Marine Parade then became part of a very fashionable equestrian and carriage drive from Kemp Town to BrunswickTown, with society gathering every day to see and be seen {24}. In 1880 the old wooden railings were replaced by the present cast-iron rails with their dolphin motifs, and the old shelters on the promenade opposite Lower Rock Gardens, Marine Square and Eaton Place were erected in about 1883. The ornate lamp standards date originally from the 1930s. The Madeira Lift, a listed building decorated with four dragons and an ornate dolphin weather-vane, was inaugurated on 24 May 1890 and descends into the Madeira Drive shelter hall, now Clown’s Cafe. (see ” Madeira Drive“).

In 1908 the name of the road was officially changed to Marine Parade King’s Cliff in honour of King Edward VII who stayed with his daughter at 1 Lewes Crescent. {115}

From 1824 the road was continued along the cliff top to Rottingdean as the Newhaven Turnpike with a tollgate at Roedean , but in 1897 this road was closed due to erosion of the cliff and Roedean Road was constructed further inland as an alternative route. On 22 July 1932, with the cliffs protected by the new Undercliff Walk, a 60-foot-wide highway, Marine Drive, was opened to Rottingdean by P.J.Pybus, Minister of Transport, at a cost of £105,000. {112,115,116}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the
Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *