19th century view
In this early view of Market Street, the building on the left is the Market House, which opened in 1830 and was demolished in 1900. The house with the round bay windows survives to this day, complete with chimneys, though the shape of the windows has been altered.
20th century view
This view was taken before the development of St Bartholomew’s Square. Market Street extended all the way to the seafront. The building on the left is the old Municipal Market. The back of the building can be seen in the photos of Black Lion Street, also featured on this tour.
21st century view
This shot shows the view from today’s Town Hall, looking across Bartholomew’s Square into Market Street. Check out the chimneys at the top of the cream-coloured building in the centre in the older views.