The sepia original from the James Gray collection, owned by the Regency Society is one of the oldest existing photographs of Brighton. It was taken in the 1850s, by Edward Fox, Jnr. then living next door at 44 Market Street. He started as a decorative painter but sometime in the late 1850s moved on to photography as his means of visual expression. He adopted the waxed-paper process, taking landscape and architectural photographs, mostly around Brighton.
The same location a century later. In the late 1850’s the business was taken over by T. Waterfield and remained in his family’s control for many years until in 1896 it was acquired by Walter Gillett Ltd. At some time during the Waterfield era the old building was demolished and replaced by the premises acquired by Walter Gillett Ltd.
The old Gillett buildings were demolished in 1989 to make way for the new development of the area.
Click on the images to open a large version in a new window