Originally a small twitten
Originally a small twitten, Meeting House Lane ran from the former Presbyterian Meeting House in Union Street after which it is named. Until about 1790 it was confined to what is now Union Street. The southern area was part of Black Lion Street, the northern part was Poplar Place and the eastern arm was Market Lane.
The Presbyterian chapel, erected in 1688, was Brighton’s first purpose built non-conformist chapel. Rebuilt in 1825 in a Greek Doric style by Charles Busby, it was taken over in 1875 by the Union Congregation. Later it was sold to the Glyn Vivian Miners Mission and from 1927 to 1988 became the Elim Tabernacle of the Church of the Four Square Gospel.