The Electrobus Garage
About half-way up Montague Place, between Bristol Road and Eastern Road, is a large single-storey building with a glazed roof, labelled Worthing Fruit and Flower Co Ltd.
This was built as a bus garage and re-charging station for the new battery-driven Electrobuses of the Brighton Hove and Preston United Omnibus Company, in about 1908. The BH&PUOC was a predecessor of both Thomas Tillings and Southdown, and sold out in 1915/16, partly because all its newest petrol buses had been commandeered by the War Office for troop transport.
Electrobuses were introduced on route 1 (Portslade Station to Kemp Town) to counteract complaints made in genteel Hove about the noisy petrol buses. Their batteries had to be recharged every few journeys, and rather than have them all come back to Conway Street Hove, a new garage was built in Kemp Town. The electrobuses lasted until about 1918.
One other interesting relic of those days is a bus shelter on Eastern Road, opposite Bristol Place, now a tobacconist’s and sweet shop!