South and west side buildings

Please note that this text is an extract from a reference work written in 1990.  As a result, some of the content may not reflect recent research, changes and events.

h) BUILDINGS SOUTH SIDE: The southern side of Old Steine is dominated by the Royal Albion Hotel (q.v.) and the Royal York Buildings (q.v.). No.39 stands completely isolated between the two with four storeys, Doric doorway, and a balcony above; it dates from around 1860. The late-eighteenth-century nos.44-46 at the corner of Pool Valley are distinctive, three-storey listed buildings faced with black mathematical tiles ; they have excellent doorways and bay windows which retain their glazing bars. No.47 is also listed. {44,108}

j) BUILDINGS WEST SIDE: Nos.52-53 have early-nineteenth-century facades with balconies and verandahs, and are listed buildings; no.53 was at one time the home of Major-General Sir Arthur Clifton, a veteran of the Battle of Waterloo. At no.54 stands Marlborough House , and at no.55 Steine House (see below for both buildings). No.56, Blenheim House, is a large, elegant, four-storey listed building which was restored in the 1980s. It was formerly the home of the Brighton and Sussex Club, but the fabric of the building is somewhat older than its 1875 facade. The Royal Bank of Scotland building has an attractive Art Deco facade and is decorated with the borough arms. It opened on 20 January 1933 as offices and showrooms for the corporation’s electricity supply undertaking (see “Electricity Supply”). {44,83}

Any numerical cross-references in the text above refer to resources in the Sources and Bibliography section of the Encyclopaedia of Brighton by Tim Carder.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *