Pelham Square was built in the second half of the nineteeth century, named after Lord Pelham of Stanmer. Work started on the first terrace (on the west side of the square) in 1856.
The square was developed by two Brighton businessmen, Mr Hack and Mr Lynn, who owned the land on which the square is built. Mr Hack, an alderman, lived opposite the square on Trafalgar Street.
Pelham Square wasn’t originally intended as a square. At the west side of the square two houses were tacked on, to make a cul-de-sac instead of a thoroughfare towards the sea.